Health and Safety Policy Statement for
Little Fishes & Wacky Whales.
Our statement of general policy is:
- To provide adequate control of the health and safety risks arising from our work activities
- To consult with our swimming teachers on matters affecting their health and safety
- To provide and maintain safe plant and equipment
- To provide information and instruction for our swimming teachers
- To ensure that all swimming teachers are competent to do the tasks they have been asked to do and ensure training is given where necessary
- To prevent accidents and cases of work-related ill health
- To maintain safe and healthy working conditions and
- To review and revise this policy as necessary at regular intervals
Overall responsibility for Health and Safety is the owner of Little Fishes and Wacky Whales however our swimming teachers on a day to day basis take responsibility for themselves when in the pool environment. As we privately hire school pools we follow both their health and Safety Policies and our own as follows:
- Swimming teachers must adhere to the Emergency Action Plan and Normal Operating Procedures as set out by the Pool where they are working.
- Swimming teachers must not interfere with anything provided which has been put in to safeguard their safety.
- Swimming teachers must report all health and safety concerns to the owner of Little Fishes and Wacky Whales and the designated representative appointed by the school where we hire the pool.
- Swimming Teachers must take care of their own health and safety as well as the children in their care during their swimming lessons.
- Whilst children are waiting for their lessons to begin and in the changing rooms parents take full responsibility for the health and safety of their children.
HEALTH AND SAFETY RISKS
As with all swimming pool environments risk assessments are undertaken and reviewed at regular intervals. These are carried out by the schools that we hire from and they will inform Little Fishes and Wacky Whales of any changes they have made. We will then adopt the new procedure. Should an incident occur whilst we are using their facilities then a report would be made to the school in question and then any necessary action will be taken.
CONSULTATION WITH EMPLOYEES
Little Fishes and Wacky Whales do not have a trade union. Swimming classes run three times per year in blocks of twelve. Swimming teachers are consulted at the beginning of each new term, the owner of Little Fishes and Wacky Whales regularly sees all swimming teachers and reviews are undertaken at the end of each term.
SAFE PLANT AND EQUIPMENT
Little Fishes and Wacky Whales hire school swimming pools to carry out their business. The plant and equipment belongs to the schools we use, they maintain the plant and equipment themselves and if any plant or equipment is faulty or deemed unsafe then the facility is closed and we are unable to use it again until it has been deemed fit to reopen.
COMPETENCY FOR TASKS AND TRAINING
Little Fishes and Wacky Whales explains to all swimming teachers that they must adhere to the health and safety rules at the pool they have been designated to work. This therefore means that they should read them and ask questions if necessary. All swimming teachers are at least trained to the RLSS level of the national rescue award and must renew it every 2 years. Swimming teachers used by Little Fishes and Wacky Whales are either Level 1 teachers or Level 2 teachers. Any training identified will be provided.
ACCIDENTS, FIRST AID AND WORK RELATED ILL HEALTH
Should an accident occur it is recorded in the accident book. All staff have received first aid training and the health and welfare of Little Fishes and Wacky Whales swimming teachers is of paramount importance.
All swimming teachers monitor health and safety whilst carrying out their duties. In the water environment that Little Fishes and Wacky Whales works in, health and safety needs to be second to none to ensure that nothing can go wrong.
WE CARRY OUT THE EMERGENCY PROCEDURES – FIRE AND EVACUATION RULES AS LAID DOWN BY THE SCHOOLS THAT WE HIRE.
Click to Close